Thursday, July 24, 2008

Hide and seek

Well, I have had a rather grueling 5 hours. I don't know what to do with myself now so I am going to type about it and hope I can put it out of my head and go to bed. (no rhyme intended)

About 4:00 this afternoon, I was applying hand lotion and "Oh." My wedding ring. I didn't have it on. So, I went to the downstairs bathroom where I put jewelry if I take it off during the day. Hmm. Nothing. Two other rings, a necklace and a bracelet. {it must be upstairs}

I scan the upstairs bathroom counter. Nothing. Check the drawer - nothing. Now I am beginning to feel hot. I walk briskly down the hall to our bedroom. Scan one dresser - the other. Nothing. I drop down and look under the bed- back to the bathroom to check the garbage - nothing.

As not to take you play by play through the entire 4 hours - this scan through the house goes on for hours until I have reduced myself to tears - tearing the sofa's apart more times than I can count (I found a vitamin under one cushion --that distracted me a little....). Mark calls and through the sobs I tell him I have been searching and searching for hours and I am just exhausted and dumbfounded (why is it when it is clear you don't know where something is you begin to look really, really fast for it? Like it will be "less lost" if you hurry?) Mark, the terminal voice of reason, tells me to calm down and he will help me look for it tomorrow. (He is in Des Moines).
So, I plop on the couch and fester. Tap tap tap.....where the heck could it be! Then it hits me - garbage. I burned garbage today and what if somehow it got picked up with something and thrown away and I burned it!!!!!!!!!!!!! I race to the kitchen and grab a slotted serving spoon and off to the barrel.

Well - some 35 minutes later and covered in soot from forehead to boobs - NOTHING.

At this point, I really have no where else to look. Defeated, I go upstairs and flip on the TV and begin to consider the reality that it's gone. I have insurance on it - but it wouldn't be the same to just get a new wedding ring like the first one really didn't matter that much.

As I grab the pillow to shove under my head, I feel something. Upon further inspection, there....it.....is...... In the friggin' corner of the pillowcase? How the!!?? I have absolutely no CLUE how it could have gotten there. I must have stared at it for a full minute. Put it on. Took it off. How the heck....I still don't know.

Am I turning into one of "those" people who does things in their sleep, now? Like I really need that to worry about! "Honey, would you zip up my straight jacket, I am going to bed now...."

I have half a mind to lock some things up before I go to bed tonight. What a day.

3 comments:

Scott J. said...

Maybe you had a naughty all-girl pillow fight session and you just forgot about it.

Yeah - I pretty much think about naughty all-girl pillow fights all the time. What can I say?

Judi said...

Just catching up on ya ~ glad you found the ring! I was on the edge of my chair waiting and hoping it was found! Glad all the tests went well too! I went throught the same life challenge after being laid off after a 14 year career! Your story telling is great with much humor and fun to read!

brenda k said...

Hi judi!

Thanks for stopping by!!!