Monday, August 4, 2008

This and that...

It is a rainy Monday. I don't mind though. I think a rainy, cloudy day is way under rated. There is something about fiddling around the house when it is raining outside that is very productive. I even managed to put the weekends laundry away and clean the toilet (that's not to say I did the laundry in the toilet, mind you).

This past weekend was fairly quiet - dined out with some friends Friday night. We picked them up and they gave us a tour of their backyard garden before we left. After seeing their lovely adornments I plan to copy one thing in particular for my own yard. A bottle tree. I don't know what rock I have been living under but I didn't know they even existed. My friend made her own (some of them you can use a dead tree). She put a long wooden pole in the ground and then attached bottles to it using long screws and white lights throughout. Very neat. My bottle search has begun.

The previous weekend we went to a "Fly In" breakfast in a town close by. We had pancakes and then for $15 we took a plane ride around NE Iowa. The pilot even flew us over our house. It was a little 3 seater and I was proud to sit in the co-pilot seat. As we took off, the wheel in front of me began to move and lights came on. It was then I let the pilot know I could take over whenever he wanted. LOL Yeah - picture Karen Black (I think that's her name) in the Airport '77 film. Only I had my hair in a pony tail which would be much less dramatic...

Anyway - all I can say about the ride is that it was like floating. Amazing. I have never been in a small plane - only the cantankerous jets that I used to need a gallon of beer to be able to even consider boarding. I have come a long way. I have no fear these days and it is lovely.

My husband started a rather amusing project yesterday. He plans to erect a 30 ' pole within eye shot of the kitchen window. To the top of that he is going to place an old satellite dish - hanging down so that it looks kind of like a tall skinny mushroom. This will be a bird feeder, apparently. He has all the plans drawn out to where each little feeder will hang from the large dish. He will make a long pole that he will use to reach each feeder from the ground to refill. He considered a pulley system - but that might be treacherous in these Iowa winters. I will try to follow the project with a few pictures on a future post. The pole is in the ground now - I have not asked him how he plans to get the dish on top. This will most certainly be a Kodak moment.

So - now I owe you a couple pictures. The Redneck Crossing has down sized a little, I see. They have removed the caped dog and wild boar. Perhaps they went to market. Well, the boar anyway. I have not seen much activity there in the recent days. Maybe I can resurrect him if I take a few more pictures. Perhaps it is an ego boost and he will get busy again!

One last little update - I have a real job now and I never even applied for it! Long story short, the Pet Hospital where we take our animals has been looking for another staff person all summer. They tanked on the interview process so they decided to think of people they knew that might be a good fit and - thought of me! So, I trained a little last week and start for real this week (tomorrow). I have seen a couple surgeries so far and lots of puppies! It is such a calm and kind environment I cannot help but think I am just meant to be there.

Well, I am off for today. I have a Mystery Shop to do at a fast food place today. I am to park discreetly where I can see the drive through. I am to time the cars going through during the lunch hour and then eventually go through myself and order a burger with specific items left off. I wonder how bad they will screw that up. I have never had much luck with special requests in a drive thru. I hope I have enough paper.

Happy Monday!

1 comment:

michaelg said...

Take a picture of hubby's 30' pole and post it here.
Hee hee hee.