Thursday, August 14, 2008

Week in review

My week has been busy or at least busy according to my standards at the moment. The new job at the Pet Hospital is in a word...Awesome. It helped that I have known the people there for at least 15 years. I have taken my wide array of village idiots there over the years and it is no accident that the kindness and care they show to animals also carries over to people in general. I can only remember having one job where I thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere as well as the people - and the big one - fully enjoying what I do. I am enjoying connecting the dots in my life these days and a very religious person shared some very promising thoughts with me one day. If we can endure the hardest of times in our life and just believe and have faith that in a big picture it all makes sense God will make the suffering worth our while. I believe this to be true.

Well - I never meant to go that route today but I guess since it did I may as well share this, too:

Another thought provoking situation this week. I have a good friend who has been in a difficult situation for a long time. It is hard to see a good friend struggle. It is even harder to witness very poor decisions and the inability to face one's issues. In everyone's eyes, this friend was hiding from the world and refusing to acknowledge the people at the heart of the mess. It got to a point where this person was so caught up in things in the past and nasty personal attacks, I don't know that the reason for the entire saga was even remembered at this point.

In an email, this person asked some things of me that would have played into the name calling and character assassinations already alive and well. I don't know where I got it that day. I delivered a tongue lashing and "get over it" speech so eloquent that I think EB Browning would have been impressed. I thought surely this would be the end of our friendship but I guess I was willing to risk that, looking back, although that never occurred to me at the time.

Our friendship endured and the situation has taken a positive turn and a productive meeting was had with the parties involved. I guess the lesson I learned from it all was that you must be able to approach the people you care about no matter how difficult the conversation might be. There are ways to say difficult things. Something I can say I was never very good at in the past. I don't know where "it" came from that day but I am glad I found "it".

So, not bad weeks "work" so far. LOL

I have more about the week for the next post since this one became more about life as it goes and not the usual banter. I don't know how that happened but it must have been on my mind.

Happy Thursday!

No comments: