Tuesday, December 29, 2009

It's never too late...

Since we last talked, Christmas came and went along with the usual associated gatherings. To sum it all up in one sentence, I am thankful for my great friends and great family - and I realize I see too little of some of these people. I was able to connect with some good friends just before Christmas and then time spent with family was fabulous.

As time goes by, I am very aware that my relationship with my oldest brother is becoming more rich and more fun than I could have every imagined.

I was never that close to my two brothers growing up (both older), but, like a lot of things in my life, that has changed a great deal in the last two years. I am coming to realize that my oldest brother, in particular, is more like my dad than I ever knew. He is smart, talented, giving, caring and incredibly hilarious!

My second to the oldest brother is just as "hero-like" in my eyes and when I am in the same room with him I always feel like I am a little kid and I find myself hanging on his every word. There was always a huge part of me that never wanted them to know much about my life years ago. Mostly because I wanted them to think I had it all together and I had a perfect life - because I saw their lives as perfect. Well, their lives were far from perfect and I know that now... As the new year approaches, I have resolved to continue to nurture these two relationships and I look forward to spending more time with them.

So, another lesson comes and goes and leaves a lasting impression. Don't regret the lost time, just move forward and be mindful that with most things in life, it is never too late to pick up the ball and start runnin'!

Happy New Year!!!!

4 comments:

Judi said...

Here, here! I have learned these lessons the hard way and now keep these words ever present in my mind ... "Say what you need to say ..." snd an old Native American Proverb ~ "Let not the grass grow on the path of friendship! Happy New Year to you too Brenda.

Kireliols said...

I have two brothers- we were pretty close growing up but one has chosen to lead his own life- he's a recovering alcoholic and holds a grudge against our family for some reason- we haven't heard from him in years. My other brother and I have grown closer because of it- we value each other more- the other bro hasn't been himself in years so it's like we lost him long ago. Enjoy folks while you have them. good lessons to learn.

brenda k said...

Judi, love that Native American Proverb - words to live by. Happy NEw Year to you!! Is it cold there? Just curious!

kirelimel, that is a tough one. It is difficult when you have a family member that makes those kinds of choices. I have other friends in similar situations and it does leave a lasting mark. It is great, though, that your other brother is active in your life. Maybe someday the silent one will reach a point in his recovery where his thinking will change.

Judi said...

Brrrrrr ~ had been in the 20's and today the mercury is heading up into the 30's ~ Give me sunshine any day and I'll tolerate the temperature!!! (New Year, new attitude) Judi