Wednesday, February 10, 2010

My first earthquake

I hate to even post this with what is going on in Haiti...but - the midwest had a mild shake early this morning and it got my attention.

We have been closing our upstairs bedroom door at night with the addition of Kona - he can get noisy with barking and yowling, not so much anymore, but I still am closing the door.

Mark was gone last night because of weather and I woke up to what seemed like someone on the other side of the door shaking the doorknob or rattling the door trying to get in. I went up on one elbow and looked at the door and it was literally shaking in its hinges. This lasted about ten seconds? Maybe less...

With my wild imagination, I immediately assumed I was being haunted. Some wild thrashing spirit apparently only could muster enough venom for one door in the house. Later, I was able to fall asleep with the LOGICAL notion the road maintainer or snow plow went by.

When I got up for the day, around 5:00 and flipped on the news...go figure....an earthquake on the 4 or so scale hit Dekalb IL - and tremors were felt in all surrounding states...at about 4:00 a.m.

So, my house is not haunted and the plows do not do my road at 4:00 a.m.! Next time I will relax and know it is an earthquake. (???!!!)

3 comments:

Madame Leiderhosen said...

Well done, riding that out. I was wondering how Chicago endured it's rare shakeup.

You are now .025 inches closer to San Francisco.

Judi said...

I'm sure that was a bit scary, especially being alone. I don't think I could have fallen back asleep!!!! Hope the pups doin' well. Judi

Judi said...

Checking to see what you're up to :) Have a great weekend ~ Judi