Monday, August 23, 2010

Up all night, again....

I think what I like best about blogging, is that it allows you a place to put these little nuggets of nothingness down and while you have not uttered a word to anyone.... it feels like you had a conversation about it.

I have shared my off and on struggle with waking up in the middle of the night - and then remaining awake for a couple/three hours before falling a sleep moments before the alarm goes off. Last night was no exception, only, I had company.

I woke-up first around 12:30 and then woke-up and stayed away at about 1:30 a.m. As I stared at the motionless ceiling fan, I could tell Mark was waking up, too. Then, he was all the way awake.

So, as I lay there, he has no idea I am awake, but out of the blue he says, loudly, "Is the AIR even on in here???!!!!!" Like I have just been hanging out waiting for a question to be tossed to me, ya know?

I asked him how he knew I was awake and he says, "I didn't know...." So, for my own amusement more than anything, I ask, "So, then, who are you talking to?"

Mark: "You. Is the air on?"
Me: "Well, let me just pull my crystal ball out of the drawer here ...."
Mark: Heavy Sigh..... "funny..."
Me: "Well! I'm not hot...."
Mark: thrashes around
Me: yank covers
Mark: flops over and sighs again...

This goes on for about 30 minutes...meanwhile, I make the mental discovery that when HE is stuck awake - the commotion that endures is as though the earth has spun off its axis. It would not be humanly possible for anyone to fall asleep next to this combination of thrashing and kicking and sighing and tapping on the headboard. Yet, when I am awake, I tip-toe around and slip in and out of bed with the precision of a cat burglar in the night.

So, my Monday morning has become a series of power yawns and I can only hope my dh is joining me as he makes his trek through his day sucking in large amounts of air, wishing it was time to go home.

One more thing....2:52 on the digital clock looks the same if you turn the clock upside down. It's still 2:52.

5 comments:

michaelg said...

I have a husband like that.

Actually, doesn't it sort of say 5:25 if you turn it upside down? Just asking. I'll quit thrashing around now.

brenda k said...

Nope, Mike - upside down is still 2:52! I flipped the clock to make sure.... Now how can I apply this minutia!!!

janban said...

Bob ALWAYS when he can't sleep. He thrashes around and when I finally wake up and ask him what is wrong, he growls, "I can't sleep." To which I reply, "Well I can!!" (or at least could). Gosh that drives me nuts!!

michaelg said...

Brenda, as much as it pains me, being a man, to say it:

You were right. I was wrong for ever doubting you.

It does say 2:52 upside down.

brenda k said...

Jan: the thrashing part is such an oxy moron! All that does is get you MORE wide awake. I always tell M to just be calm and focus on your breathing! Falls on deaf ears I might add!

Mike: For as much as I knew it was still 2:52...I wrote it out like a digital clock number appears and flipped it and was like, "Hello! It sure is 2:52! He must be on Minnesota time....;-)