Friday, March 12, 2010

Circling the drain!

My mind is on overload! Circling the drain! I love my new job. But with the woman I will normally work with every day, gone, for a month, who has been there over 30 years and possesses infinite knowledge about that place, the past two weeks have been mentally exhausting! Not so much in a bad way - I really like the job - but it's alot like trying to drive somewhere you have never been without a map.

There are so many programs, Food and Fitness, 4-H, Agriculture, Horticulture, grants, Farm to School programs - the list goes on. Each day, any combination of calls can come in and any combination of people can come in seeking information. I worked barely 12 days before I was thrown out of the pan and into the fire! I have come to call what I am doing, "the illusion that I know what I am doing". I guess this is a good way really glean some valuable learning experiences!

Everyone I work with (and the woman on vacation) are some of the nicest and most genuine people I have met in a long while. They naturally possess a genuine interest in what they do and a genuine interest in the programs that are designed to add a layer of richness or assistance to somebody's life. In most ways, it is like my dream job. Get paid for making a difference in someone's day. And on a good day...get paid for making a difference in someone's life. What could be better than that.

So, I remind myself to be patient and try and calm that inner beast that needs to know everything right away and know it NOW! They tell me that it will be years before I have a good handle on everything and even then - I will still be learning.

I love the weather right now - it is the time of the year you can FEEL it changing moment by moment! I went outside this morning about 5:00 and the air was light, fresh and you could just smell the humidity - buh-bye snow! See you in a few months!

Have a great weekend everyone! I hope to have the time to make some blog visits this weekend when I am not pressed for time!

4 comments:

Judi said...

Take each day as it come and soak in all you can ~ just from reading your blog, I know you are an intelligent, thoughtful woman who can overcome many obstacles. Judi

brenda k said...

Thank you, Judi - you have no idea how much I needed that!!!!!!

Judi said...

Hey, what are blog friends for right???? Judi

Judi said...

Hope the job isn't takin' too big of a chunk of life from ya Brenda! Miss hearing from you :) Judi