Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Eliminating a Food Group

Decision time is upon me. I have known it for a long time. I have heard the bad reports about what I love...what I rely on....what I seem to grab at every snack at home:

LUNCH MEAT

Lunch meat, sandwich meat, sliced goo...whatever your term - I am giving it up. Not only is it packed FULL of sodium, the processing that takes place unto this carnivore delight is just not healthy. Period. But, I love it. I have also been known to sneak some bologna once per month and on a daring day, I will open a can of SPAM...(but I really miss the twist key on that thing...that was half the fun and I think it may have burned up some fat calories on the crank...)

My favorite "brand" of lunch meat is the store brand "Our Family" shaved deli ham. I adore it. I eat it on nearly everything. Hormel has a good version too, but strangely the store brand for this particular item is much better. It is shaved so completely thin, you CAN read a newspaper through it and I love one slice on a piece of toast or in my Egg Beater omelet. (No, I am not getting paid for this post....)

In my quest to ingest the things that are more better, than more worse...I see lunch meat as a do-able elimination. In fact - I could be a veg. girl very easy, because beyond the lunch meat thing - I have no desire for alot of "meat" per se anymore.

I never meant to take this post in this direction, but since I am here... I was asked today at my job if I would be willing to "clerk" the auction at the fair. This is actually an illustration of how ignorant I really am:

me: "Of course - so they sell animals to each other?"
work: "No. Pigs will be sold to auction and then slaughtered."
me: "Oh. So - do I have to actually ...touch them...or do anything to the animals?"
work: "Well - no, you just need to take their information.."
me in my head: so, I gotta look in their little eyes and send them off to die.
me out loud: Okay.

We have bought fair pigs for our freezer and as I speak I probably have half a Wilbur in the basement freezer. I have eaten meat my entire life. I grew up on a farm. I absolutely support farms and absolutely believe we truly do and should feed the world. I would never be on a march to end eating MEAT. "THIS" post is not about "THAT".

But, as time marches on for "me"...I am coming to realize that I am a vegetarian in waiting you might say. The more and more I eat meat, I cannot seem to get beyond the face in my plate.

I also know I am a hypocrite. I love my shaved ham because it is not a meat product, it comes in a neat little box with no face and I plan on finishing it off before I go, Cold Turkey! ;)

Dang...I forgot about turkey....I love that, too. Giving up the face in my lunch meat will be way harder than a good steak or a good hunk of turkey. I am gonna try though.

So back off Oscar Meyer....I know what weekend it is!

2 comments:

michaelg said...

Meat is tasty, but I see the face too. I can't really fish any more either because I can't kill anything. *sigh*

Kireliols said...

You go with that meat thing. I may follow- or at least lunch meat in tubular form- we don't really buy lunch meat but we just went through our annual "hot-dog frenzy" - when it starts to feel like summer we go nuts with hot dogs and then after a weekend of it (I am quite serious when I say we've been eating hot dogs for lunches and dinners for the past few days) - we all feel sick and they never enter my cart until the next year. There are two dogs left in the fridge and only one bun in the bag. The dog may get them since the rest of us have had our fill.