Saturday, October 30, 2010

Time, again...

Happy Fall! Where does the time go? This is proving to be a more valuable lesson to me everyday. Time (and I touch on this from time to time ;-)

Every once in awhile I find myself living for the destination instead of the journey. Ever feel that way? Where that voice track spins up and tells you, "Well, get through this week and it will be fine." or "Once today is over I can forget about this..." or I used to say, "Once I lose 10 pounds I will be happier..." Even after my mammoth health scare in 2007, I found myself living in a void of time, just waiting to be on the other side. Waiting to be on the other side of whatever situation I was in, because surely THEN my life would begin and be happier than I have ever known. But, that sense of arriving at the destination never really quite takes shape, so I have found.

As I continue to learn more and more about myself (which is a journey, within a journey, maturity brings on more change) I am continually reminded of the importance of being IN the moment. Tomorrow will have worries, issues and blessings all its own (the Bible even tells us this), and we have only enough "power" for one day. If we are just in TODAY - we have enough power. Life is not so taxing, there is TIME to notice things around you and there is more time to enjoy things.

We finally took a much needed vacation a couple weeks ago and spent it on the motorcycle in northern Wisconsin/Lake Superior and then down along the coast to Green Bay, then Door County. I have said this a million times in this blog, but it is worth dinging that bell again. The thing I love most about a motorcycle ride is that it is less about the destination and more about the journey. As we were riding along, day after day that week, we never really knew where we were going to end up, we were just thrilled to be on the journey and took in each moment after moment- of beauty, surprise and absolute wonder of what was coming next!

I think this is how we are meant to live every day. Not focusing on where you are going, but focusing on what is happening around us on our journey -sans destination. When I consider everything I have 'missed' in my life, it doesn't necessarily make me sad, but I think the realization makes me want to be better at throwing the light off of me and shining it somewhere else.

Well, I will set that to the side, for now! Aside from our vacation, we are settling into fall quite nicely! I am thrilled that I am not dreading winter this year. I had that going on last year, and I think I figured out why, so I suppose that was a small conquered mountain. (and here I go about "time" again) But, it is pointless to DREAD anything, you have to be in it whether you dread it or not. That said, I have a welcoming feeling when I think of Old Man winter, and I hope I can find new ways to enjoy it this year.

One great thing about winter is the plowing of the roads! Why you ask, is this so tantalizing? Because, I had my "every 6 week flat tire" again, last week. I am hoping, beyond hope, that with some added road "maintenance" it will plow away the debris that no doubt falls off the truck- loads of junk people take to the landfill. I must be a magnet for these spiky little delights! I did manage to find an alternate route to work, which does not take me by the turn off to the landfill - but, I am so programmed to go the other way, that if I am not reciting "Centennial Road" in my head up until I get to the place I turn - I, inevitably, will go the way my "rat-in-a cage mind" is programmed to go. Who gets a flat tire every 6 weeks?

Good gravy! Have a great weekend! Go Hawks! Go Pack! Go Cyclones (I have to say that now!)
Pictures from vacation will be forthcoming!

2 comments:

ShannonK said...

*LOVE* this post! Thanks for sharing, and reminding.

One Girl's Story said...

I love to ride too, It can be the most peaceful thing one can imagine.

One of my favorite rides is to take the bike up to blue ridge parkway in NC Mountains in October when the leaves are changing.

Well that and bike week at Myrtle but, let's be honest, there is not a lot of peace and quiet there :-)